Saturday, June 27, 2015

It is Done!

I'm finally done with my Hume essay.  It took about three weeks including days I didn't work on it, but I also made good progress on my Mill essay and wrote some other stuff in that period. 

It was hard for me to really tackle Hume, because he keeps on changing his mind on what he means in his ethical treatise.  He wants to base everything on utility, but also on generally good feelings (generosity, kindness, sympathy being good in themselves or fundamentally good) and then he at-times slips into a relativism where what people approve of is good, what they don't is bad and laws are always for utility rather than one group of people promoting their interests over another.  Which you could argue is "utility" for them, but not in the democratic sense, also of course someone like Marx or Bakunin would agree most laws are designed for utility for a small or large group, but not for the populous at large which is the general Utilitarian meaning - of course all things are intended for a type of utility, but there's a difference between doing something for the good of one group (and having that in mind in one's legal and political system) and for the good of either all people or the Utilitarian Calculus at-large. 

Also Hume is simply a terrible writer.  And if you're going by what you're given by the British, that's saying a lot.

I don't know what I'm going to do next.  I think just unwind.

No comments:

Post a Comment