Monday, August 31, 2015

Goodbye Wes

I found out yesterday that Wes Craven past away.  Great creative man and really good guy from what I've heard.  Nightmare on Elm St. is one of my favorite (and I would argue one of the best in-terms of plot development and effects) horror films and one of the few that has me legitimately disturbed every time I see Freddy's face and he starts to stretch his arms out. 

I just found out he directed the first episode of Scream on Mtv.  I'm glad he was able to direct a re-iteration of something that made him well-known and appreciated.  And though I think the season wasn't that great (I could be wrong but didn't we all know the new boy in town was going to be Brandon James son?  I guessed that on I think the second episode.  I thought maybe the podcast girl would be in on it too but that doesn't seem to be the case.  Mediocre writing like Mtv's Scream is usually easy to predict once you know what they won't do, or have as the killer and use process of elimination) the first episode was as good as it could be.

I really don't have anything else to say.  Oh, except that I was surprised that Wes got a Masters degree in Philosophy.  Maybe that explains the Nietzsche quote in one of his movies, though odds are (unless its the third one - and I think its the fifth or sixth) that's one he had no to very-little involvement in.

Quickly, though Epicurus says specifically we shouldn't fear death, and I completely agree, I think philosophers are wrong when they say we shouldn't mourn the dead. Yes, their suffering is over and they're no longer attached to our worldly concerns - but in a way that's why we should take a moment and feel saddened.  Because being sad acknowledges what that person was that is no longer.  Some people mourn in a way that could be perceived as selfish (someone they love is now gone) but I don't think we should begrudge them this.  But I think also people mourn in emotional understanding of  all of our mortality, and that all things never last.  I agree it's irrational to go ballistic when someone dies, and maybe that's the type of selfish inability to cope with someone who meant so much to us no longer being there; the kind that we need to accept in people but view as a type of unfortunate characteristic in some people's psyches.  However, the other more profound kind is usually (at-least the way I imagine it) a more quiet, dignified melancholy.  One that is simply a visceral reflection of life that can lead to a deeper appreciation of it. 

So overall I think the Epicureans, Taoists and others who say we shouldn't mourn the dead are both right and wrong in a way.  It's true we shouldn't focus on the dead and instead the living, but I don't think the feeling of mourning is a "error" that is wrong or irrational to have.  It seems to be an aspect of our humanity - being able to comprehend the value of our sentience and therefore mourning its loss - that separates us from the rest of the animal kingdom; though mourning has been documented in elephants among other animals as well.

Take care everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment