Friday, October 16, 2015

I'm Alive!

Hey guys.  Sorry I haven't posted anything substantial in about three weeks or more.  At-least in-terms of full-length essays.  I've been fairly preoccupied with classes.  I also have to look into which school I'm transferring to. 

I think the deepest and most fundamental truths there are is that we suffer, we are destined to suffer, and because of this, it is our obligation to do what we can to reduce suffering.  Next would be to study reality and see what we can know and do to reduce suffering the most.  This is where Negative Utilitarianism, Virtue Ethics and the scientific method all come together.  One must be virtuous to even consider helping others and to have the strength and capacity to do so.  We must also know this reality to cure its ailments, diseases and so on.

I'm working on something combining Aristotle with Social Anarchists like Bakunin.  Some may find it an odd fit, but I think there is a strong Virtue Ethics component to the S.A.s and it even seems to be the case that its more akin to Aristotle's V.E. as opposed to the more free-will based of the Cynics and Stoics.  Aristotle, though rejecting metaphysical materialism, does definitely seem to be a materialist in the way Marx and Bakunin are.  We are social animals.  With a specific nature.  And depending upon how we are treated and what befalls us through our lives largely determines the type of people we are.  In a larger sense I'm trying to draw comparisons between ancient and more contemporary philosophy.

That's it for now.  Take care.

No comments:

Post a Comment