Sunday, March 20, 2016

300th Post

Greetings comrades and friends, this is (in case you somehow have a condition making you incapable of reading titles) my 300th post. I hope what I have written has been of some entertainment, stimulation of thought and perhaps even (to the extent there is anything moral in my writings - I wouldn't want to claim to know I am right or assume I'm on the morally correct side of things, I am a skeptic afterall) a encouragement to act on your better nature; I myself of course have improvements to make in that field.

Anyway, I'm enjoying the free time I now have.  It's been quite relaxing and I'm getting the decompression I needed.  This is something hard to believe I was ignorant of:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_7rn23tDNk considering I'm a huge fan of Orwell and have heard Hitchens speak of him or on him several times.  I quite like what he and the other man say about how Orwell was wrong to say (whether he was mistaken or not telling us what he really thought is another point entirely - though its likely the former) that it was the turbulent times that led him to politics and social commentary and away from the purple prose and romanticism he was initially attracted to.  Though the outside world can have an effect on us, ultimately everyone all the time is determined an motivated from what's inside them, and to place the fundamental mechanism of action outside of ourselves shows a misunderstanding of human nature and generally speaking a misunderstanding of the nature of all things - which act according to their nature and being, rather than the nature of the world around them.  In a way I think this is a huge misunderstanding (if taken a certain way) that someone like Marx could have that Schopenhauer would correct him on.  But I already wrote an article about this (loosely) that one can read.

I finished House of Cards season four.  And I liked it but didn't love it.  The ending I must confess I found particularly poorly executed.  That the Underwoods (almost typed 'Underhills,' sorry Tolkien) were essentially forced into their tough on terrorism stance and manipulation of the American people through fear I thought was a terrible choice of the writers.  The entire series is about political calculators that are willing to do anything to get, maintain and further their power; who are calculators who are always one step ahead of everyone else because they don't understand the capacity or eagerness of the Underwoods to do anything, to betray any trust and sacrifice any good, to satisfy their lust for power and control.  It should have been that Claire behind closed doors tells the Muslim man to speak Arabic and tell the college Jihadist-wannabes to release the video and kill the father.  They would've orchestrated the mother and daughter being released so on one hand the American people feel they are competent, but on the other hand feel the fear and submission to authority in having an innocent man be murdered on American soil.  The fact that they were essentially trying to do the right thing and then were pressured into their current course betrays everything the characters represent and what the show is about.

I also thought that the ending was rushed and didn't have a satisfying conclusion in another way.  In every other season except season three we see Frank triumph through his Machiavellian schemes.  S1 - he becomes VP.  S2 - President.  S3 he is on the verge (seemingly) of losing his partner in egoism and power-lust so its meant to make us think things might change - it was planned out quite well in this regard.  However in S4 we see a very small period of time (I might be wrong about this) compared to the other seasons; and we don't see the election end though it seems almost we are supposed to assume that the Underwoods will win through their political ruthlessness - which once again how they were essentially led into said ruthlessness I found a misstep in writing.  We should see him holding his wife's hand waving to a cheering American public, adoring him and his "courage" to "take on the terrorists."  A jingoistic banner behind them; Frank then looks at the camera and says, "we don't compromise with terror, we create it."  Cut to black.  Really lost opportunity all things considered.  Also I think they could've done more with the Republican candidate, and they probably should've killed off any chance of Dunbar winning sooner since we all knew she wouldn't have stood a chance.

I wonder how many of these are actual essays and how many are my world-famous Pointless Updates.  Which is this?  

No comments:

Post a Comment